Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Cycle Road Race.

All gold medals are not equal. Why should a gold medal in airgun be equal to a gold in a seven hour cycle race, but at the final count they are all equal. This was a great race won by a true champion. The Spanish are on a roll. I had to be content to share the race with the rowing, making it very disjointed, but then New Zealand have put all their effort into the rowing events in which they are excelling. I suppose because there is so much water around.
I have another gripe. Maybe I'm a purist and biased but the true Olympic events are on the athletic track and field competitions, and the Marathon. But I think cycling has deservedly become a senior partner, yet rowing and swimming are getting too many medals. Take swimming for instance they have all the different styles at so many different distances giving an overabundance of medals. To make up there should be backwards running all the way up to the marathon and different styles of high jump and so on.Why have rowing with one oar each and two oars each in the pairs and sculls.The disciplines that are the most efficient should be the norm.




Back to the cycling. Did any one notice how the young South African cyclist who earlier this year climbed over Col de la Bonetta(below) in first place in le Tour, finished in joint 20th position only 2.28 behind the winner Sammy Sanchez and he's only 21 years old. I climbed up there in 1987 so know how hard it is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Cyclops. Thanks for visiting my blog.
I see you too have an interest in the history of Kwa Zulu Natal. I enjoyed your Shaka post.
If you have some time, I can recommend a visit to David Rattray's site, where there are some really great samples of his audio's of 'Day of The Dead Moon', I am sure you will enjoy them.

August 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home